When we start coding, we are often confused about what to learn first. In this article, we have discussed c sharp and sequel programming languages. We have discussed the features, similarities, and differences of C# and SQL programming languages so that you can decide what to learn to code next.
What Is C# Programming Language?
C# (spelled c sharp) is a high-level programming language developed by Microsoft. It’s a part of the .NET framework and was developed by Anders Hejlsberg and his team during the development of the same.
C# borrows its syntax from programming languages like C and C++. However, it is implemented in a very different manner in comparison to these languages. While C language is a procedural language, C++ supports object-oriented programming as well as procedural programming. On the other hand, C# supports object-oriented programming and it primarily focuses on component-oriented programming. Being component-oriented, the C# code has very less coupling and high cohesion. It is also a very efficient programming language.
What Are Sequel ( SQL) Programming Languages?
SQL or sequel programming languages are the programming languages that are used to work with relational databases. SQL is an acronym for Structured Query Language. As the name suggests, sequel programming languages are used to query database management systems containing structured data in tabular format.
SQL is a declarative language. When you need to retrieve any data from the database, you just need to specify what data you need. SQL takes the order and retrieves the data for you. You don’t need to specify how the data will be retrieved from the database.
Features of C Sharp Programming Language
Being a general-purpose and object-oriented programming language, C# has many features that are very useful for programmers. Following are some of the features of C# or C sharp programming language.
- C# is a cross-platform and multi-paradigm programming language. Being cross-platform, it allows you to work on different machines using the same code. Thus, you can work in teams, write parts of codes on different computers and merge them all without facing any errors. Being multi-paradigm, it allows you to work on different aspects of computer science.
- C sharp borrows its syntax from programming languages like C and C++. Hence, if you know these programming languages, you can learn C# very quickly.
- C# is an open-source programming language licensed by Microsoft. Hence, you can use it without having to pay any subscription fee.
- C sharp is a component-oriented programming language. It means that C# strictly enforces measures to create separate code components for atomic tasks that work together to perform complex tasks. This helps you to create code components with less cohesion and maximum reusability.
- Being developed and licensed by Microsoft, C# is a well-documented programming language.
- Being a part of the .NET framework, C# finds its uses in many domains. Due to this, it has a thriving community of developers. While learning C sharp, if you get into any confusion or problem, you can get it sorted very easily by asking questions in forums or searching for them on StackOverflow.
- C# is also supported by the European Computer Manufacturers Association (ECMA) and International Standards Organization (ISO).
Features of Sequel Programming Languages
- SQL or sequel programming languages aren’t general-purpose programming languages. They are meant only for use in database management systems to handle relational databases.
- Most of the relational database management systems that work on sequel programming languages are open source. Hence, you can use these systems to write and execute SQL code without having to pay anyone.
- SQL programs are scalable. For a specific task, you can work with a few kilobytes of data or Gigabytes of data using the same program without having to modify even a single word.
- SQL statements are simple and in a readable format. Hence, you can learn the syntax of sequel programming languages very easily.
- SQL is a standard language. Its syntax hasn’t changed over the years. It is also certified by the American national standard institute (ANSI) as well as the international standards organization (ISO).
- SQL is one of the most popular programming languages that is widely used by multinational companies such as Amazon, Google, and Facebook to store and manage data.
Suggested Reading: If you are interested in machine learning, you can read this MLFlow tutorial with code examples. You might also like this article on clustering mixed data types in Python.
Similarities Between C Sharp and Sequel Programming Languages
Although very few, C# and SQL programming languages have the following similarities.
- Both SQL and C# are open source. You can use the software and run programs after installation. You do not need to buy any kind of license for using SQL or C#.
- Both C# and SQL are certified by the International Standards Organization (ISO).
- Both C# and SQL codes are portable. You can copy a C# code written on a windows machine and run it on Linux. It will work fine. In a similar manner, SQL codes are also portable. If the schema of the database is the same, you can copy a code from windows and run the same code in a database management system installed on a Linux machine or MacOS without any problem.
- SQL and C# are used by millions of developers. Thus, both of these languages have great forums and community resources for developers.
Differences Between C Sharp and Sequel Programming Languages
- C# is a general-purpose language while sequel programming languages are used specifically in database management systems.
- C# is an object-oriented programming language. Sequel programming languages are declarative.
- C# is focused on software development. Whereas, SQL programming languages are focused on managing data and retrieving data from databases.
- C# is mostly used to create the back-end for software applications. SQL is used to create, manipulate and manage data in relational databases.
- With C sharp, you can transmit, receive or process live data as well as data stored in a database. You can also use C# with non-relational databases for this purpose. On the other hand, Sequel programming languages can only process data that is stored in a relational database.
- C# is certified by ECMA and ISO. SQL is certified by ANSI and ISO.
- To perform any task in C#, we need to specify all the steps. In Sequel programming languages, you just need to specify the data you want to retrieve. In SQL, you don’t need to specify the steps or how the data will be retrieved from the database.
Interesting Read: What is a better code/comment ratio while coding?
Uses of C Sharp and Sequel Programming Languages
Both C# and SQL programming languages are used widely in the industry. This section discusses the uses of both languages.
Uses of C#
C# is a general-purpose programming language. You can use it for web development, mobile app development, implementation of cloud-based applications, and windows applications.
- C# was developed as a part of the .NET framework. As it was developed by Microsoft for using it in their own ecosystem, C# allows you to create windows desktop applications using the Windows .NET framework.
- C sharp is one of the most efficient programming languages for creating gaming applications. C# can be integrated with platforms such as Unity and Xamarin to create seamless gaming experiences.
- Using the .NET framework and C#, you can easily create web applications.
- Some of the popular applications developed using C# are Microsoft Visual Studio, Pinta, NMath, KeePass, Open Dental, OpenRA, and FlashDevelop.
- Some of the jobs that require knowledge of C# are .NET developer, software engineer, full-stack engineer, unity engineer, etc.
Uses of Sequel Programming Languages
SQL is primarily used for handling relational databases. It has the following use cases.
- SQL is used to define a database schema in a database management system software like MySQL.
- SQL is used to query data from a database to obtain information.
- Sequel programming languages are used to manipulate data in a database.
- SQL is used to grant and revoke access to the tables in a database.
- SQL is used for transaction management in a database management system.
- Some of the most popular applications using SQL are Snapchat, Instagram, Spotify, Informatica, Talend, Pentaho, pandora, etc.
- Some of the job titles that require knowledge of SQL are a data analyst, data engineer, data scientist, database administrator, DevOps engineer, big data engineer, solutions architect, etc.
In this article, we have discussed the features, similarities, differences, and uses of c sharp and sequel programming languages. Both languages have different use cases. I have mentioned the job roles that require c# and SQL separately. You can choose what to learn based on your interests. If you want to become a data analyst or a data scientist, you can choose to learn SQL. If you want to get into software development and you know C or C++, you can go ahead with C#.
I hope you enjoyed reading this article. Stay tuned for more informative articles.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.