Beginner Series: Python Tutorial
Most often, Python is compared to languages like Perl, Ruby, PHP, Scheme and Java. This is because they are all object-oriented languages. Although, of those languages, Ruby, Java and Python are the easiest to learn.
What makes Python stand out is it has a variety of notable features that make it appealing to developers of all skill levels.
1) Python syntax is elegant, so the code is easy to read even to the layman. This is because Python syntax and commands are more akin to the human language, instead of a language that computers use to interpret code.
2) Python is ideal for prototype development and similar ad-hoc programming tasks. It does not compromise maintainability either.
3) It comes with the Standard Python Library, offering integrated support for a variety of common programming tasks like syncing with web servers, searching text, and modifying files. For a majority of other languages, you have to code these processes from scratch.
4) Python has an interactive mode built-in that simplifies testing for short snippets of code. It’s also bundled with a dev environment called IDLE, which cuts down on setup time.
5) You can extend the language by adding new modules, even those compiled in C or C++. The modules serve as shortcuts for future projects, as well.
6) Python can be embedded into any application you create, offering a programmable interface for end users. This is great if you’re putting together an app to teach coding or one that requires working with Python in a terminal.
7) Python is compatible with Windows, Linux, MacOS, many brands of Unix, OS/2, and more. Plus, it uses a similar interface on each platform, so you can jump between them easily.
8) Python doesn’t cost anything to download or use, and there are no licensing fees. You can freely modify and distribute all content created with the language since it was released under an open source license.
Next, we’ll take a look at How Python Is Different From Other Languages.
Recommended Training – Treehouse
Although this site recommends various training services, our top recommendation is Treehouse.
Treehouse is an online training service that teaches web design, web development and app development with videos, quizzes and interactive coding exercises.
Treehouse's mission is to bring technology education to those who can't get it, and is committed to helping its students find jobs. If you're looking to turn coding into your career, you should consider Treehouse.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers.